Sunday, October 24, 2010

Insomnia

I was up late the other night, doing some beads and other details on a doll. This is why I like having my studio at home - well, in my case, pretty much all over the house. I've had bouts of insomnia all my life, and the only way I know to deal with it is to make something. This wouldn't work if I had to get in my car and drive somewhere to a studio.

I've done this since I was a little kid. I have vivid memories of waking up in the middle of the night and going downstairs to sit in my dad's chair and work on stringing beads or crocheting or sewing something, any kind of hand work I could get absorbed in. I'd nod off eventually, sometimes after hours of work. My mom was smart enough to realize that as long as I got up for school and didn't fall behind, there was no real reason to worry about me being up late. This is the only way I know to turn off the internal chatter.